Last weekend was dreary. We got a lot of rain from Hurricane Nate – nothing too crazy happened here, though. No wind like the forecast suggested, thankfully. But I digress.
What else is there to do on a rainy day than to clean and cook?
The first thing I did Saturday morning was bake a cake. It’s easily the best cake I’ve ever made. We devoured it and it was gone by Monday evening.
In case you need proof, 👆🏼 that was Saturday evening.
It will knock your clothes off… I’m making it again this weekend. At this rate we’ll be 80 pounds heavier by Christmas.
What you need:
- One box yellow cake mix
- 1 bottle caramel syrup
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Whipped cream
- 1 king size Butterfinger
- Bake the cake as directed. Let cool completely, approximately 30 minutes.
- Using the end of a wooden spoon, poke several holes in the cake.
- In a separate bowl, mix condensed milk and half your bottle of caramel syrup, approximately 12 ounces. Pour mixture into the holes of the cake and over entire top of cake.
- Top cake generously with whipped cream.
- Using a rolling pin, crush butterfinger in its wrapper. Empty into a bowl and shake over top of cake.
- Drizzle with caramel syrup.
- Chill for an hour or so.
I plan on making one to take to work soon… the only problem is knowing it’s in the refrigerator not being eaten. 🤦🏻♀️ I will say this: this cake is sweet. Super yummy. But super sweet.
If y’all try it let me know!
I’m at home with a sick boy today, so I’m hoping to get the other two recipes up that I promised y’all!
I don’t know about y’all but I can tear up some sloppy joes. Literally tear. them. up.
True story: one summer when I was around 11 or so, I went to church camp. I don’t remember too much about camp except that they fed us sloppy joes every night for supper. The best part was that you could go back for seconds. And thirds. And fourths, if you wanted. So we had the brilliant idea to have a sloppy joe eating contest. 7 sloppy joes later I won. 🥇 Moral of the story: Amanda loves the sloppy joes.
used to go straight for the canned stuff because it was easy but I came up with a recipe that’s just as easy and seriously so much better. Another true story: Just the other day a friend of mine said she was making sloppy joes for dinner. I tell her I have a recipe that is basically ketchup and barbecue sauce mixed and she says, “whaaaaaat?!” Still trying to decide if she thought I was confused or if she was confused. You never can tell. 🤷🏻♀️
Here’s what you need:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 generous tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup diced onions (optional)
Here’s what you do:
- Heat a skillet on low-medium heat. Add your ground beef and minced garlic. Cook until browned. If you choose to use onions, you’ll want to cook them with your meat.
- While your beef is cooking, mix all other ingredients.
- When beef is done, drain well. Return to skillet and add sauce mixture. Heat on low for 10 minutes or so.
That’s it! Put that stuff on a bun and tear it up. Eric isn’t a fan of sloppy joes and he ate two. Jase didn’t touch it, but then again, he thinks the only food in the world is chicken nuggets and mac and cheese. 🙄
Last weekend the weather here was rainy so I cooked all weekend. I’ll be sharing three recipes from my weekend (hint: chicken, chicken, butterfinger) in the next few days so stay tuned!