I made this soup for the first time this weekend… and we have had it for 4 meals. Seriously, it’s that good. Just try it. You can thank me later.
What you will need:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, chopped (optional)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk
- 1 package Velveeta, cubed
- Put potatoes and 1 tablespoon butter in the pot you’ll use to cook the soup in. Cover and cook on medium heat while you cook the ground beef.
- Brown ground beef. Drain and set aside.
- Add chicken broth and beef to the pot with the potatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 2 tablespoons butter and flour to a skillet. Cook and stir for 3-5 minutes.
- After broth, potatoes and beef have simmered for 10-12 minutes, add flour mixture and bring to a boil. Cook and store for 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
- Add in cheese, milk, salt and pepper. Stir and cook until cheese is melted.
The recipe calls for 3/4 cup shredded carrots, but I don’t put carrots on my burgers so I couldn’t understand putting them in a soup that tastes like a burger. But to each his own.